Friday 7 October 2016

Utah trip - Part One!

My first trip to Utah has so many good things about it, I wrote it in three parts. Hope you enjoy!

*First of all, I'm going to say that this has been such an amazing trip. Megan and I actually talked about how we weren't sure if we were going to be able to do it. But we did! All things were possible and it was such a blessing to attend general conference with loved ones and friends and listen to words of our prophet and his apostles and general authorities.*

On Thursday, mom and I got ready to drive to Aulac, New Brunswick, to pick Megan up there. Mom then drove us to the Halifax airport. Our flight was at 3:10 and went to Toronto. 
When we landed there, there was another plane still boarding at our gate, which worried us since we only had about an hour before our next flight. The plane was there for about 20 minutes. Megan and I had to run through the airport to try to make it past U.S. customs and to our flight to Salt Lake. We made it to the gate with about three minutes to spare! On the first flight, I started to watch Star Wars 7, then finished it on the next flight, as well as 10 Things I Hate About You. 
When we landed in Salt Lake, we got Megan's luggage and went outside to wait for our ride. We were staying with a woman named Joy and her family in Bountiful. She picked us up and took us to her home and Megan and I got settled in. I didn't sleep much though. It was probably because of nervousness and being excited and the time change! Keaton, his brother Austen, and two of their friends were driving down from Edmonton that night as well, so I was up making sure they were doing all right and seeing where they were. 

So although sleeping that night kind of sucked, Friday was just so good. I want to relive it.
Megan and I got ready at Joy's house and she drove us to downtown Salt Lake for some shopping.
Joy then drove us to Temple Square where we spent all afternoon! We started at Deseret Book and got some things. I got a new CTR ring, a journal, a CD, and a temple recommend holder. 
Our first stop at Temple Square was the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. It was so beautiful, with a large statue of Joseph Smith and pretty chandeliers. We went to the top floor where you can see an amazing view of the Temple. 


We walked around the temple and we were just truly amazed by it. It's so big and magical! 
We also crashed about three or four weddings by accident. But everyone looked beautiful so that was fine!


After that, we went to the North Visitors Center where they have the large statue of Jesus Christ. It was a very peaceful setting and we sat and reflected on that. Sometimes we don't realize what He did for us. 
Sitting there, I was just amazed by His love that He always provides for us. The Spirit was a great feeling.

We walked across the street after that to see the waterfall at the conference Center. It was closed so we couldn't see the whole building yet. 

We visited the Church History Museum, where there was exhibits on the life of Joseph Smith and how he restored the church. There was also a spot with all the former presidents of the church and some of their old artifacts. It was amazing to see little things that had part of their lives. 
(Stained glass picture of Joseph Smith's First Vision)

We went back to the Joseph Smith memorial building for lunch at the Nauvoo Cafe. I had Coca Cola pork on a spinach wrap and it was delicious!
We took a short walk while waiting for Keaton to show up. He parked in front of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and got out and hugged me tight. We found parking and took him on our stroll along Temple Square again. We walked to the pedestal where a lot of people take pictures! And we did of course! 




We then met up with our friend Jeffry and went to the back of the Salt Lake temple where there is an entrance for anyone who wants to do baptisms for the dead. We got in and got changed. Megan and I did confirmations before going into the font. It was so special. 
This is the second temple I've ever been in. It was so beautiful. 
There was about four girls ahead of me in the line, but I saw Keaton get up before it was my turn to go. He asked some of the workers if I could go ahead of them since he wanted to do the baptisms for me. The worker called me over to go up closer to the font. I was panicked as I looked at the girls ahead of me.But all of them smiled at me and said, "No, you go ahead!" That comforted me so much. We did let one girl go first, then it was my turn. 
Keaton was able to baptise me for four temple names. That was a very special moment I'm happy we could share. Being able to see the man I love practice his priesthood power is a wonderful sight. 

After we were done in the font, we all changed and met up again. 

After we left the temple, we made plans to head down to Draper, since the guys had a Canada Halifax Mission reunion. We met up with our friend Kyle while in Salt Lake, and he took Megan and Jeffry in his car, so Keaton and I could follow.
I didn't know too many people, but it was fun to see people that I did know who served in the Canada Halifax Mission. The guys got to talk to a lot of friends, so that was also good!
Kyle went home to Provo after it was over, so Keaton and I took Megan and Jeffry back to Bountiful after that to go back to Joy's house and we all stayed up talking for a bit!

Continue onto Part Two to read all about our lovely conference weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment