Thursday 28 April 2016

Something didn't feel right.

Yesterday (April 27), a fire occurred in my neighbourhood. 
Actually, in a field right behind my house. 

I was at work, which is in the Trans Canada Highway, connecting Charlottetown to Cornwall. The North River Fire Department is right up the road. We saw two fire trucks drive by with sirens blaring and lights flashing. We saw two more only a few minutes later. We were all wondering what was going on. 
For some reason, something didn't feel right in my gut. Almost as if I should ask my mom what was going on. 
It was around 4:45 p.m., so I figured my mom would be home from work, but I wasn't sure. I called home and she answered. I was just about to ask if she knew anything about a fire somewhere, and she cut me off to tell me it was in the field and the fire-fighters and police were on the scene. I hung up the phone, and told my co workers it was in my neighbourhood. I started to cry a little bit. I was so worried about my childhood home. My mom and brother were home with Winnie and Meeko. And anyone who knows me, knows that my pets are my children. My manager tried to reassure me to calm down and tell me they were going to get it. 
Thankfully, my mom called back a few minutes later and told me they got the fire under control and they were trying to get the remainder of it. The scariest part is when she told me the fire was right up to the hedge of trees that surrounds our yard, which is maybe 20-30 feet from our house. 

When I got home from work, half the field had turned black, I could still smell burning and some ashes were flying around. I talked to our neighbours, Cyndi and Lauren, who told me a cigarette caused the fire. 
I went into my house to hug my pets and cried a little more. I said a silent prayer thanking Heavenly Father for keeping everyone safe. 

I hope whoever was smoking in the back field has learned their lesson and will be responsible for their actions. (Don't smoke, kids.)
On the other hand, I'm very grateful the fire department made it in time and I'm super grateful for the fire hydrant in my front yard.

(Stole these pictures from my brother)



(These are my pictures)






I'm actually good with the snow that fell today. It will cool everything down.

No comments:

Post a Comment